Pass/Fail: Students diversify Thanksgiving; SA Discussion panel lacked attendance

By Angela L. Pagan

Pass:

While many students excitedly left campus for Thanksgiving break, others took the opportunity to celebrate the holiday in a non-traditional way that made it even more special to them. More than 1,000 international students attend NIU and not all of them celebrate Thanksgiving in their cultures, according to a Nov. 21 Northern Star article.

Rather than feel left out or lonely during the short break, these students have taken the opportunity to embrace the culture surrounding them and even incorporate their own into a new sort of holiday. This sense of unity is exactly what the holiday spirit is all about.

Fail:

The Student Association held a sexual assault discussion panel on Nov.15 but only two students showed up. The lack of attendees is absolutely disappointing. The panel was meant to discuss sexual assault prevention and provide students with resources to deal with the aftermath of sexual assault, according to a Nov.14 Northern Star article.

While the issue of sexual assault is a sensitive topic, this panel and other events to be hosted by SA are meant to create a safe and helpful space for students to educate themselves on the matter. Sexual assault is an unfortunate reality and students should take learn all they can to help prevent it.

SA is part of the national “It’s On Us” campaign and plans to host more events in the future such as a Bystander Intervention Training, according to the article. I hope students will realize the importance of these discussions and show up to the next event.