NIU officials rethink facility

Protestors hold “12 years too long” signs, advocating for a better resource facility for the Asian American community Tuesday in the MLK Commons. NIU gave the resource center to students 12 years ago as “temporary” space. 

By Leah Nicolini

DeKALB | About 35 students have or have almost fallen down the basement stairs of the Asian American Resource Center.

The narrow staircase that fits one person at a time and is difficult to climb is among the list of issues the resource center has along with wheelchair accessibility limitations, electrical issues, iron-tasting water, one functioning computer, one bathroom and limited space.

Students marched around campus Tuesday from MLK Commons to inform NIU administration and the community they need a better facility.

This center was given to students 12 years ago as a temporary space to accommodate the needs of the Asian American community that did not have a facility prior.

The center reaches about 300 students through organizations it supports such as Alpha Phi Gamma, Asian American Association and Indian Student Association. The center uses heritage programs, academic support and events to foster inclusion and enhance the quality of life for Asian American students, according to the center’s website.

Michelle Bringas, Asian American Resource Center director, said students began to relocate their events for more space several years ago to accommodate the increase in students who use the center.

“Over the years, they have outgrown [the facility] because their individual groups have grown larger,” Bringas said.

Members of the center, including Melissa Cardella, senior communication major, president of the Asian American Association and co-director of the center’s renovation committee, use support from the Asian American community to feel a sense of belonging among peers at NIU that stereotype Asians.

“A lot of people, when they do realize I’m Asian, they’ll go to the stereotypes [such as] ‘oh, you can help me with my math homework’,” Cardella said. “A lot of that does affect the community.”

Bringas said students do better academically when they have a space they can call home and feel welcomed in.

Repairs

Chief Diversity Officer Vernese Edghill-Walden said the center has had several repairs this year, including upgraded electrical outlets and water testing, which was negative for contaminants.

Next steps

Leaders from the center have met with Eric Weldy, vice president of student affairs and enrollment management, Edghill-Walden and President Doug Baker multiple times this past year after hearing concerns about the center.

Possibilities for the resource center could include renovating, relocating and reaching out to alumni for funding to support the center. Weldy said NIU will continue to assess and understand the community’s needs, and a timeline for a resolution has not been established.

Weldy, Edghill-Walden, Ombudsperson Sarah Klaper and Richard Tom, senior assistant director of admissions, attended the protest to let students know they were being heard. Tom served as an advocate for the center’s inception in 2002.

“We were very gratified that we originally got the [center] at all,” Tom said. “And even at that time, it was looked upon both by the administration, as well as the faculty and the students, as a beginning from which we were hoping it would be a seed to be planted and grow to support the future [students]. I think that time has come now for the next step which is an improved facility.”

Members of the center began a renovation committee to address the center’s future and meet 5 p.m. Thursdays. The location varies depending on what meeting space is open on campus. Email [email protected] for more information.