On-campus early voting begins Oct. 24

By Nancy Galan

DeKALB | NIU is working with the DeKalb County Clerk to provide students with the option to vote away from home.

DeKalb County Clerk and Recorder Douglas Johnson said students should register to vote as soon as possible in order to participate in early voting. Johnson said voting early helps people to avoid long lines on the Nov. 8 presidential election day.

“Students should study the candidates and make educated choices on who they vote for,” Johnson said.

Johnson said students can easily register to vote online at bit.ly/1YodC57. Early voting begins Oct. 24. Students can also register by Oct. 29 at the Sycamore Legislative Center, 200 N. Main St.

Early voting will be available on campus Oct. 24 at the Blackhawk Annex located in the Holmes Student Center. For specific precincts, voters can go to Barsema Hall. Students can register to vote until Nov. 8.

If students have a hometown other than DeKalb, they can still register to vote as long as they have a local address.

Sophomore computer science major Jordan Henderson said there should be a more active presence around campus that encourages students to register and vote on campus or at home.

“People are readily available to talk to you if need be, and they are there to assist you with anything you may need regarding registration and voting,” Henderson said.

Sophomore political science major Eduardo Anguiano said NIU should have more voting resources for students.

“[NIU should have] voting polls available in the residence halls for those who can’t go to other buildings due to busy schedules,” Anguiano said.

Go to bit.ly/2cMY1vF or call the DeKalb County Clerk’s office at 815-895-7149 for more information about voting.