Director starts in Housing Services

By Julia Martinez

DeKALB | Even after nine years of experience with Housing and Residential Services, Deborah Gettemy was left speechless when offered the position of department director.

After Patricia A.R. Martinez, former Housing and Residential Services director, left the position, Gettemy was chosen to fill the spot.

Gettemy started working as a housing complex coordinator nine years ago, and in 2012, she was promoted to associate director for residential communities. Overall, she has thirteen years of experience in student affairs at NIU.

Gettemy reports to Vice President of Student Affairs Kelly Wesener-Michael, who said the position requires someone who has good judgment and will be committed to the students.

“I was looking for someone with outstanding experience in terms of being professional and the willingness to empower students and staff,” Wesener-Michael said. “We believe in Debbie’s talent and chose her for the position.”

Gettemy was asked to become the director after Martinez was offered an opportunity to become the assistant vice president of University of Alabama, Gettemy said.

“I found out our previous director was leaving, and I was so nervous about what was going to happen with that position,” Gettemy said. “Then I was offered the role, which I was not expecting, so I was really excited.”

One of her biggest goals is to look at the department’s structure to make sure it has the right organization and the right people in each position, Gettemy said.

Gettemy said what she wants most is for the students to feel safe and comfortable in the residential halls.

“Along with feeling safe, I want students to know they are heard,” Gettemy said. “If students have any issues, I want them to know they can come speak to our staff and we will attend to them.”

Sophomore communicative disorders major Jennifer Calderon said she chose to live in the residence halls for her second year because that is where she feels safe.

“I just want to feel safe more than anything on campus,” Calderon said. “I know the resident halls will be in good hands this year and will only continue to become better.”