Intramurals to open; registration this week

By Scott Nicol

Attempting to become the next Tom Brady, Cristiano Ronaldo or Kobe Bryant but didn’t make the team this year because you were “off your game” during tryouts? Intramural sports are going to be your best friend.

Intramural sports provide a quality recreational experience for students where the emphasis is on fun while providing a healthy spirit of competition, sportsmanship and friendship through all activities, according to Campus Recreation’s website.

Intramural sports are comprised of more than 40 activities for men, women and co-recreational leagues for the fall and spring semesters. Leagues include greek, independent and organizational, plus divisions within each group: competitive play and recreational play. Captains of each team decide which league and division they wish to participate in.

All students interested in joining intramural sports are required to create an account and team on IMLeagues.com and also submit payment, when applicable, to the Student Recreation Center Front Desk by the second week of play. Students must do both in order for their team to play.

Directions to create an account are listed on Campus Recreation site under the intramural sports “how to register” section.

There is a list of activities, fees, deadlines, dates and minimum number of players for fall semester on Campus Recreation’s website under the intramural sports tab.

Students will have the option to buy an annual league pass for $468 or 8 monthly payments of $60.75, which will allow the team to participate in eight sport leagues and four tournaments. Students can also purchase a separate league pass for just the fall or spring semester for $265 or 4 monthly payments of $66.25. League passes can be purchased online or at the Member Services Desk beginning August 24. Students also have the opportunity to officiate and supervise the activities. Student officials are hired regardless of prior experience, however work-study is preferred, while supervisors are trained to handle any conflict and answer questions participants have regarding rules, policies, procedures and program information.

In order to become an official it is required for students to attend a recruitment meeting and complete an application after the meeting and drop it off at the Campus Recreation front desk by the deadline announced at the meeting. For Spring employment, the meeting will be in the Fall semester and for Fall employment the meeting will be in the spring prior to the fall semester.

Intramural sports are now accepting applications for officials for the Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 season, according to Campus Recreation’s website.

Students with questions pertaining to officiating can contact Michael Dick, Graduate Assistant of Competitive Sports, at [email protected] or if students have questions regarding the activities themselves they can contact Laura Kucik, Coordinator of Competitive Sports, at [email protected].