SA Senate approves environmental affairs committee

By Leah Nicolini

The 24 Senators at the Student Association Senate meeting Sunday approved the committee on Environmental Affairs.

The SA Senate represents and acts on behalf of student interests across campus and is responsible for the appropriation of funds to SA recognized student organizations, the recognition of new student organizations, official review and verification of any actions made by the executive branch and confirmation of new appointments. The SA Senate is responsible for the allocation of the $6.5 million SA budget.

The committee on Environmental Affairs was unanimously approved, and Stuart Nissenbaum, SA director of Environmental Affairs, said the committee is important because environmental studies majors now feel like their voice is heard.

Mandatory executive attendance approved

The bill for executive member attendance will require the SA president, vice president, treasurer and all directors to attend an SA Senate meeting once every two weeks to update the Senate with an in-person report.

SA Senator Tristan Martin said this is an important bill because seeing people face-to-face holds members more accountable.

Nine directors confirmed

Among the nine directors confirmed, Melanie Sandoval, SA director of Cultural Affairs-elect, said she would promote diverse events on campus to attain her goal of creating a more culturally aware campus.

“Being a minority, there is a lot … that could be improved,” Sandoval said. “There’s a lot of ignorance towards different types of cultures.”

Sandoval said the best way she can reach her goal is by advertising on campus. She referenced her experience as the vice president of the Latino Student Alliance to vouch for her ability to successfully promote events. Sandoval said she doubled the attendance of this year’s Latino graduation on campus to 70 students.

Taylor Rosenberg, SA director of Greek Affairs-elect, was the only executive position that was not a unanimous vote, 10-7-2. Rosenberg said she will reach out to Greek organizations equally in response to SA Sergeant-at-Arms Timothy Brandner’s concerns.