Places To Go Before You Go

Northern Star File photo

Patrons at Fatty’s Pub & Grille

By Jay Ibarra

An ode to nostalgia may be what you need to get you through your finals week. See your favorite hangout spots one last time or go to a new building to experience DeKalb in a new light.

Before you leave for the summer or for graduation and say goodbye to NIU, remember to stop by these places one more time.

Fatty’s on Tuesday

What better way to end your school year than to have all your friends under one roof for $2 “You Call It” Tuesdays at Fatty’s, 1312 W. Lincoln Highway. You and your friends have been going for weeks now, but we all need one last night to not think about finals and enjoy this drink special. This may be the last time you get to party it up with some of your college friends, so why not make it count? Tuesday at Fatty’s is an NIU tradition, so whether you’re graduating or leaving for the summer, enjoy it one last night.

Exhibition Suite

If you have yet to experience an NIU art show, now is your chance. The campus art museum will be showing two exhibitions, “Between the Wars: Contrasts, Parallels Shifts and Patterns” and “Beyond Gatsby: Common Luxury in American Art Deco” and two small studies, “The Chicagoan: a Periodical of the Era” and “Deco and Art Moderne Architecture in Illinois,” 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday to Friday and noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. The galleries are free and are located on the west end of the first floor of Altgeld Hall. You should go to experience great art because free art museums might be harder to come by once you leave NIU.

Haunted Holmes Student Center hotel

The 16th floor of the Holmes Student Center is rumored to be haunted. At 6 p.m. Sunday when the dark moon aligns, the gates of hell open on the 16th floor, as the ghost Beelzebub releases his hounds of Hades upon the innocent virgin souls, according to John Vgolini, former Northern Star cartoonist, in an Oct. 9, 2003, Northern Star column.

NIU had to alter the structure of the the Holmes Student Center and change the roof to a point to channel the spirits away from the 16th floor, according to the column. If you’re brave enough, greet the ghosts before you leave NIU for sumer break.