Black Lives Matter tribute concert to feature original performances

Black Lives Matter tribute concert participants rehearse for the show Wednesday in the Music Building. The show will include music and poetry performances.

By Jay Ibarra

The first Black Lives Matter tribute concert will feature students carrying out the Black Lives Matter movement through various original performances.

The concert will be from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday in Altgeld Hall and is free for students and the general public.

Senior sociology major Lecresha Pinkston said this event is to pay homage to all performing artists, civic leaders, activists and political movements that have shaped the history of black people.

“It’s to give back to a culture and the movement of Black Lives Matter,” Pinkston said.

Randiss Hopkins, senior jazz piano major and lead coordinator of the concert, said he was inspired by the relevancy of the movement to create this tribute show. Hopkins said he hopes to bring students and the community together for a cause that’s much bigger than individuals.

The Black Lives Matter tribute concert is inspired by racial injustices that have occurred at school, said senior dance major Linnea Norwood.

“I’ve definitely experienced some racial injustice on campus and it’s important to not only talk about it but to give people an understanding of what it is,” Nordwood said. “You can beat someone over the head with a concept all of the time, but until you actually do something about it to make it better, then nothing will happen.”

Hopkins said he’s excited to see how the group can unify the campus community through this show.

“If anything, I hope we have a better understanding of the Black Lives Matter movement after this show,” Hopkins said. “The Black Lives Matter group is about love.”

This event is meant to bring community and understanding. It isn’t about an exclusion of any other race, it’s about including everyone, Norwood said. Attendees can anticipate big musical ensembles, solo performances and Hopkins playing accompaniment.

“I think everyone has kind of lost touch of what we mean by black culture, I think it’s been changed and altered so much that nobody knows where we came from musically or just as artists period,” Pinkston said. “I think it will just remind people of how great we are.”