Women’s tennis looks to end 3-game losing streak in upcoming match

Sophomore Evelyn Youel serves during a match against Western Michigan University on April 12, 2015.

By Danielle Brown

Women’s tennis (6-10, 1-3 MAC) will ride a three-game losing streak into the weekend as it preps itself for MAC matchups with the University at Buffalo and Western Michigan University.

The Huskies remain 2-8 on the road and have just one conference win thus far this season. There are only two weeks remaining in the regular season and they have four games remaining to make a run for the MAC Tournament.

The team has gone 3-7 in its last 10 games, falling out of contention and struggling to keep up with the rest of the conference. During their recent 10-game stretch, the Huskies have had five losses in which they picked no more than one match win. Head coach Tanya Gombera said the Huskies look forward to these matchups and hope to come out of the weekend victorious.

Leading the Huskies will be No. 1 singles player junior Adey Osabuohien. She’s been NIU’s best player throughout the tough season, hoisting a 13-3 record. She’s paired with senior Cristina Alvarez in doubles matches, and the two have combined to be the Huskies’ top doubles team.

Completing the rest of the Huskie lineup for the weekend will be sophomore Abigail Dekkinga, sophomore Michelle Erasmus, sophomore Evelyn Youel and freshman Meghan Montgomerie.

Matches will start at 1 p.m. Friday in Toledo, Ohio against Buffalo and at 1 p.m. Saturday in Kalamazoo, Mich. against Western Michigan.