Social media presence impacts professional career

By Jay Ibarra

It’s time to get in those final internship and job interviews, but career professionals want you to know a few things when you put yourself out there on the web.

The internet is full of resourceful tools that can take you from unemployed to employed quickly. But with the click of a button, a profane Tweet or offensive upload could be detrimental to a professional career.

“It’s very important that a student be strategic about what platforms they use and how they use those platforms, specifically I would really encourage all students to set up a LinkedIn profile,” said Catherine Doederlein, director of Internships and External Relations for Career Services.

LinkedIn is a business-oriented service. It is a professional networking site that connects people to other leading experts on the web.

“More and more employers are using [Linkedin] to recruit. I’ve had students get interviews without even applying for companies that just happen to seek them out because they found their LinkedIn profile, ” Doederlein said.

There are many social media platforms out there such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, but it’s hard to know what exactly employers are looking at.

“I did have a student get connected with La Raza Newspaper. He saw a Tweet and replied to that directly and got an interview. He ended up doing the internship and working with them his first year after graduation, ” Doederlein said.

Brandon Lagana, executive director of Strategic Planning and Analysis for Career Services, said it’s important for students to have a digital presence that’s positive and will work for them.

“It is fair game. We know some employers do Google searches and are looking at social media,” Lagana said.

If you question anything about your social media profiles, it might be time for a sweep of your profile and to go over anything that may be damaging to your professional career.

“Once you’re going into the internship or job world, you need to realize that everything you put in on social media is available for public consumption, ” Doederlein said.

You never know what professionals may be seeking you out.