New Year’s Resolution Check-In

By Jay Ibarra

New Year’s resolutions are one’s commitment to set a self-improving goal starting on New Year’s Day. These goals are notorious for having similar themes such as eating healthier, hitting the gym or saving for an extravagant trip. Students may have been focused on goals this year, but have they kept them up?

To pass classes

Samantha Butkus, junior art and design education major, said her New Year’s resolution is to pass her art portfolio review.

“I’m preparing for that and I really want this. I need to work really hard to improve my art to make sure that I pass,” Butkus said.

Butkus said she’s gone the extra mile to make sure she gets a passing grade.

“I’ve been trying to keep it, but it’s super stressful. I’ve been putting in a lot more effort than I normally do,” Butkus said. “I always drop my resolutions and this one I have to do it, I’m forced to do it and normally by March or April I just give up, like going to the gym. I haven’t been to the gym yet this year, I haven’t gone this whole year.”

To be happier

Freshman psychology major Jada Pifer said her New Year’s resolution is to live a happier and healthier lifestyle.

“I have since messed up a little on both of them. I am going to try and keep it up, I had two trial months, but March is going to be the month that I actually start it,” Pifer said. “I’ve kept up my resolutions in the past, a lot of them were exercise related, but I actually did keep up on those.”

To maintain scholarships

Max Majewski, freshman biological science major, said his New Year’s resolution is to maintain his scholarships.

“I have to get all A’s this semester to keep my scholarship,” Majewski said. “I have all A’s right now, I’m trying to keep my hopes up.”