SA Senate nominates 4 speakers

By Alexander Chettiath

The Student Association Senate nominated four senators for the position of SA Senate speaker.

The Senate speaker is the head of the Senate which is responsible for allocating the $6.5 million in the SA budget. The budget is used to provide services to students including: the HuskieLine bus system, Campus Recreation, Students’ Legal Assistance, Off-Campus and Non-Traditional Services and Events Production Services, according to its website.

The nominees are senators Christine Wang, Demone Williams, Robert Kreml and Giuseppe LaGioia, who were all nominated at the Senate meeting Sunday.

Wang, Williams and Kreml all accepted their nominations. LaGioia was not present and unable to accept his nomination but has until Thursday to accept.

LaGioia is currently a candidate for SA president and is in the only contested election.

“In the event that either he loses the election or decides to step out for whatever reason, I wanted to make sure, with him being a relatively high-profile student leader on campus, he still had the opportunity to run,” said Sergeant at Arms Timothy Brandner. “If he decides to go for speaker and still wins the election for president then he drops out, no big deal.”

Voting on the candidates will occur at the SA Senate meeting Sunday.

Senator at large

Freshman marketing major Dylan Tosti was approved as a senator at large at the meeting.

Tosti said he hopes to increase activities on campus to increase retention rates and keep students on campus during weekends.