Documentary wishes to raise awareness on eating disorders

The Center for the Study of Women, Gender and Sexuality will host a screening of the award-winning documentary “Thin” by Lauren Greenfield at 6 p.m. Tuesday in Reavis Hall, Room 103. The documentary follows the lives of four women recovering from Anorexia Nervosa.

By Samantha Keck

DeKalb | The documentary “Thin” will reveal the stages of an eating disorder and help students recognize it happening to the people around them or within themselves.

National Eating Disorders Awareness week begins today. During this week, the Center for the Study of Women, Gender and Sexuality will show the award-winning documentary “Thin” by Lauren Greenfield, professional documentary filmmaker and artist.

A discussion will be held afterward for students who may have questions about eating disorders. The documentary chronicles the lives of four women who are struggling with Anorexia Nervosa and are undergoing treatment. The documentary screening will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday in Reavis Hall, Room 103.

NIU Psychotherapist Kara Britzman is helping organize the event and said it’s a way for people to see how eating disorders are treated.

“It is an emotional view and it may be triggering for those who have their own struggles with these or similar issues,” Britzman said. “There will be counselors on site to talk with anyone who is triggered or feels the need to debrief after the screening.”

Junior law major Margaret Obrien suggested the event be held and said eating disorders are more common than students think.

“There are people in this community that are willing and want to help every person overcome their eating disorder so that they can live a healthy life.” Obrien said.

Rebekah Kohli, Women, Gender and Sexuality Resource Center program coordinator, said viewers will be able to have a better understanding of an eating disorder and the facts and rumors that might surround them after watching “Thin.”

“As part of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, we hope to raise awareness of issues related to these disorders, connect people to campus resources and encourage body positivity,” Kohli said.

Kohli said the documentary could be a tool to help college students who just may be dealing with self body issues.