SA looks into new Rec Center locks

Potential new locks are on display in the Recreation Center. Student Association President Nathan Lupstein and Michael Agro, SA director of Athletics and Recreation, will be meeting this week to establish a budget for the new locks that are to be installed in the Recreation Center lockers. 

By Madison Kacer

Student Association President Nathan Lupstein and Michael Agro, SA director of Athletics and Recreation, will be meeting this week to establish a budget for the new locks that are to be installed in the Recreation Center lockers.

The funds for the locks will be coming from executive allocation, which is the sum of money given to the SA president annually to fund various initiatives. The amount of locks being replaced can’t be determined until a budget is established, but Agro said he plans to split the amount of replaced locks between the men’s and women’s locker rooms.

“We’re looking towards the locker rooms because they’re the areas with the most amount of broken lockers,” Agro said.

In order to generate student feedback, two different locks were installed in the Recreation Center for a trial period. The survey is offered both online and on paper at the Recreation Center.

The results of the survey will determine which lock will be chosen and installed. For the trial period, students will be choosing between the Master Lock and the Keyless1, both of which were chosen by David Lochbaum, associate director of Facility Operations for the Recreation Center, Agro said.

The Master Lock uses a 3-digit combination and the Keyless1 uses a 4-digit combination.

As of Friday, roughly 100 surveys were completed online and 50 on paper. The results thus far have established the Master Lock as the favored choice.

Agro said he decided replacing the locks would be a good idea after he heard students at the Recreation Center complaining about the quality of the locks and lockers. He considered replacing the lockers as an entire unit but decided that just replacing the locks would be much more cost-effective, thus allowing for more repairs to be made.

Recreation Center employee Marilyn Kikama said she receives 5-6 complaints about the locks during each of her shifts and students often come to her asking for assistance because the lock on their locker will not open.

“Our lockers are pretty worn, pretty old,” Kikama said. “People ask for my assistance with them all the time.”

The price per unit of each lock varies based on the amount of locks being purchased and decreases as the amount purchased increases, Agro said.

“It’s looking like it’s going to be a lot, lot cheaper to do [the Master Lock] because we don’t have to hire an outside company to come and put them in,” Agro said. “In the end, we’d be able to buy more locks that way.”

After a budget is established at Lupstein’s and Agro’s meeting this week, the two will meet with the directors at the Student Recreation Center to discuss the next steps in the process.

To complete the online locker survey go to bit.ly/1Tg70GG.