NIU students must focus on health now, not later

By Kaylyn Zielinski

Students should strive toward a healthier lifestyle before the consequences of an unhealthy one pile up.

It is easy to fall into unhealthy habits in college, the temptations are everywhere. With balancing homework, jobs and classes, sometimes it seems easier to just turn away from daily exercise or order out instead of choosing healthier options; whether that be the salad bar at the dining hall or a home-cooked meal. As students, it is a much better idea to take time to exercise, eat right and get enough sleep.

Weight gain in college, like the “Freshman 15”, is not a myth. A study done by Auburn University in Alabama shows that out of the 131 students they followed throughout four years of college, 70 percent had gained weight. The study showed that at the beginning of freshman year 18 percent of the 131 students were considered overweight-obese and as seniors that number had grown to 31 percent.

The weight these students gained throughout their four years of college was not healthy weight gain as the majority of it was not muscle but just fat, according to the study.

Physical activity

One of the reasons for an unhealthy weight gain is a lack of physical activity. Students should aim for at least 30-60 minutes of sleep a day. But the amount of time someone should work out, depends upon the time that they have available, said Nick Minogue, senior kinesiology major and Campus Recreation personal trainer.

“You have to find a time that’s realistic to you, your schedule and your life,” Minogue said. “Find something that you enjoy doing so that you can carry it on in the coming days, weeks and months after. If you’re going to start an exercise plan that you don’t enjoy, chances are you aren’t going to stick with it or stay with it.”

Sleep and diet

While pulling all-nighters may seem like an essential part of college, students should try to achieve seven to nine hours of sleep every night and should choose foods that supply natural energy instead of opening an energy drink.

“It’s carbohydrates, it’s fat, and it’s protein that provide energy. For protein, anything like milk, cheese, eggs, fish, soybeans, peas and beans provide protein and [students] will get energy from it. [Students] really don’t need to be buying Red Bull or Monster or Five Hour Energy,” said Sheila Barret, nutrition and dietetics assistant professor. Though energy drinks seems like the quick fix, there are better ways to boost energy.

Exercising is more than just a physical activity­­­ — ­­­­­there are mental benefits too.

“Mentally, you’re going to see a change in how you think and how sharp you are. You’re going to be more alert and more awake,” Minogue said.

GPA

A Michigan State University study shows a correlation between exercise and higher GPAs. Students that had purchased a gym membership had cumulative GPAs 0.13 points higher than those who had not. Also, the students who had purchased memberships had a higher retention rate than those who had not.

Lucky for NIU students, the cost to use the Recreation Center is included in tuition fees.

Each component of a healthy lifestyle is going to move students toward their goals if they are done in synchrony. I encourage students to join me in a journey to a healthy life.