Student Association debuts HuskieLine GPS

Shaiquale Thompson (left), junior child development major, and junior biology major Jackie Tulian wait for their bus outside of the Holmes Student Center on Friday. ETA Spot, a new tracking app for the HuskieLine, is now available on iTunes and on the Android App store.

By Ashley Morse

ETA Spot, a new bus tracking app for the HuskieLine, is now accessible to students.

ETA Spot, developed by ETA Transit Systems, is free on iTunes and Android app stores.

The app received a 4.6/5 on the Android App Store and was rated 4+ on the iTunes App store.

ETA Transit Systems, headquartered in Boynton Beach, Fla., has done work for transit systems at the University of Houston, Virginia Commonwealth University and Florida Atlantic University, among others, according to the company’s website.

“An engineer on ETA’s side was able to come to DeKalb and install the [GPS] on the buses,” said Rob Jusino, Student Association director of Mass Transit.

Jusino said they ran test runs over winter break as well.

The app as well as the installation and equipment totaled around $33,574, said SA Accountant Marzena Szmydt.

The tracking system formerly used by the HuskieLine was made by the NIU Advanced Geospatial Lab and the Division of Information Technology. The app tracking system had been in use for the past five years, Jusino said.

The switch to ETA would cost less than updating the current system and most of the technology used for this tracker had been outdated and would require the purchase of brand new servers for the app, Jusino said.

“We wanted someone to just take care of it themselves, rather than just keep it on ourselves,” Jusino said.

The new route, the Lucinda Express, which connects the main campus to the west side, is included in the app.