NIU continues attendance promotions with $10K raffle

By Ashley Morse

NIU Athletics Department hopes to continue their promotions for increased attendance through a $10,000 raffle, courtesy of Mason Properties, at home basketball games, despite no winner being announced for the Mission 6 initiative.

Mission 6 debuted for the 2015 football season with the goal to have at least 6,000 NIU students at each of the Huskies’ six home football games. Students who attended every game and stayed for the whole game were eligible to win free tuition for the spring 2016 semester, according to the NIU Alumni Association website.

To be considered a candidate for the tuition waiver, students had to swipe their card at football games and check into the Red-Black Rewards app.

“We’re still going through a process of sorting through all the students who attended every football game,” said Morris White, assistant athletic director for marketing and game experience.

NIU Athletics wants to make sure that all students who had made it to each game are correctly accounted for, White said.

No time frame for the announcement of the winner is available.

“The app was essentially a backup. It helped to tell us if the student stayed for the entire game,” White said.

The Red-Black Rewards app received a rating of one star on the Google Play website.

Despite initial technical issues for Android users, the app allowed NIU Athletics to narrow down the number of candidates to 600 by the second game.

NIU Athletics purchased this app and is currently in a three-year contract with the developer SuperFanU, White said.

SuperFanU, based in Louisville, Ky., is a college and university specific app developer and has worked with universities such as University of Michigan and University of Florida, according to their website.

Two new features have been added to the Red-Black Rewards app, one called the fan cam. Students can take a picture and upload it to the app. The other feature is a convocation center map for seating, White said.

The Red-Black Rewards app however will not be used for the raffle, White said.

“We wanted to entice students this year to do something unique and different. If there was an increase in student attendance based on this promotion and this incentive then we will certainly do something like this again,” White said.