InFocus: How do you beat procrastination?

By Northern Star staff

Angela Pagan

Procrastination is one of my biggest struggles when it comes to schoolwork. Once I am in the zone I can accomplish just about anything, but it takes so long for me to get in the zone that I tend to rush through things that need to be worked on carefully. The best thing I do to avoid procrastinating is getting things done in steps. For example, if I have a five-page paper to write I tell myself I will write two pages one night then two more the next and so on until I finish. Setting myself up with tasks to complete makes me feel less overwhelmed by the time the actual due date comes around, and it gives me a little sense of accomplishment. Another way I keep myself from procrastinating is by disciplining myself like a little kid. If I do not complete a certain number of tasks by a specific time, I do not let myself go out that night or do whatever fun thing I had planned on doing until I get my work done.

Hanna Markezich

Procrastination is horrible for students; however, they can beat it while still finding time to watch Netflix: Make a daily list. If you are required to read multiple articles a week, a list will help you manage them. Schedule a time to eat and rest between homework. You will feel accomplished after checking the final item, and about five or six items will do. If you have a lengthy paper due, work on it at least three times a week. That way you are making progress but not rushing to get it finished. Many students, myself included, wait until the last minute to complete a paper. Take the time during the week to add detail and get the appropriate material needed. Download the Forest: Stay Focused app. If you want to work for an hour, the app will plant an animated tree on your screen. If you quit or close the app, your tree will die. This allows a student to focus on studying and not be distracted by social media.

Kara Mercer

Procrastinating is the easiest thing to do this time of the school year. It is the final stretch of the semester, so it is important to try to avoid putting off work as much as possible. Think of what you have to look forward to after finals are over. I usually think of all the things I can do once classes are finally over. It makes me less likely to try and do those things, like reading a good book, scrolling through Facebook or playing a game on my phone when I’m studying. I’ll have plenty of time to do those things, but I know I need to power through finals first. If you find yourself procrastinating, try setting times to have your work done by. Having goals usually helps me get through my work quickly so I have more time to do the things I would rather be doing. We are almost done, and I like to think of all the weeks I have already completed, and remind myself I can get through these last two, as well.

Kaylyn Zielinski

I always think about putting assignments off until the last minute. I become overwhelmed and don’t want to stress about something that’s not due until the next class; however, it actually works the opposite way. Assignments are much less overwhelming when I don’t procrastinate to start them. There are a couple ways I try to beat procrastination and it usually starts with a few cups of coffee and a list of what needs to be done. Then, I try to start the assignment before the coffee kicks in so I’m at least thinking about the task at hand. It also helps to make a playlist of my favorite music to work on homework to. It’s much easier to finish something early and have time to go back and revise the work I did rather than rush to finish it at the last second. Usually the end product is much better when I finish homework ahead of time and have time to perfect it.