Summer guide

NIU alumna Elizabeth Justice collects tomatoes Oct. 5 at the Communiversity Gardens. Students can keep busy this summer by volunteering for the gardens.

By Alexis Malapitan

If you’re looking something to do in DeKalb this summer, here are a few things to keep you occupied:

Eat downtown

If you’re like me and enjoy eating, there are a number of restaurants you should check out in the downtown DeKalb and Sycamore areas.

Texas Roadhouse, 1950 DeKalb Ave. in Sycamore, offers a variety of food options. From hand-cut steaks to fall-off-the-bone ribs and fresh bread, this homey restaurant offers delicious food accompanied by friendly servers.

The cheese fries sprinkled with bacon bits and sour cream is the perfect combination of savory and crispy. Not to mention, the servers make you feel like you’re right at home by making sure everything is to your liking.

Fatty’s Pub & Grille, 1312 Lincoln Highway, is much more than a pub. Aside from the alcohol, the food is worth trying. The Huskie burger is served in a country bun that tastes just like the burgers my dad makes: fresh out of the oven.

Similar to the cheese fries at Texas Roadhouse, each bite makes the cheese in your mouth melt while the crispy bacon makes for a salty but enjoyable accent.

The East Lagoon

The East Lagoon, located on the east side of campus along Lincoln Highway, is vast and offers a cozy fire pit. Students can exercise, go for a run or watch the geese as they tamper with Mother Nature. Additionally, students and their friends can host their own picnics or bonfires.

Volunteer

With all the beautiful weather, there is no excuse to stay cooped up in your dorm or apartment all day. Unless you’re not feeling well, summer is the perfect time to soak up the sun. If you’re interested in gardening and making a difference in the world, volunteer for the NIU Communiversity Gardens. Visit bit.ly/1BcfAhV to volunteer. Meet new people, make friends and get in touch with Mother Nature all at once.

Huskies Den

The Huskies Den, located in the basement of the Holmes Student Center, offers a variety of entertainment options for students and faculty alike. With games like bowling, billiards and video game consols, people can enjoy each other’s company while working on hand-eye coordination.

NIU Observatory

If you like astronomy, go to the NIU Observatory in Davis Hall, Room 703. This place offers a look into outer space on a starry night — all for free and open to the public. Telescopes will be available for viewing planets and constellations.