Time spent finding women’s basketball coach surprising

Women’s basketball freshman forward Kelly Smith shoots during a Feb. 21 game against Ball State. Smith was named to the MAC’s All-Freshman Team.

By Chris Loggins

Women’s basketball continues its search for a head coach after the resignation of Kathi Bennett on April 29.

Although the team struggled throughout Bennett’s tenure, the resignation came as a surprise. What’s more surprising is the team has yet to find a replacement.

Under Bennett, the team went 57-93 in five seasons, and it’d be an understatement to say they under-achieved in her time. In the 2014-2015 season, the Huskies went 12-17, with an 8-10 conference record and a 2-12 record on the road. They lost seven games by double figures and never won more than two games in a row.

Why the search for a new head coach has taken so long is unclear. The team should be confident NIU can somehow find a replacement that can work towards changing its fortune. With next season’s tip off still months away, there should be little to no concern over finding a great fit.

The team hasn’t had a winning record since they went (19-12, 8-8 MAC) in the 2006-2007 season under head coach Carol Owens. A drought this long has to be broken, and maybe a coaching change is what it may take to bring a winning culture to women’s basketball at NIU.