Reailty Bytes festival to show international films

By Alexis Malapitan

Students from around the world were able to submit films for the first time to Reality Bytes, NIU’s independent film festival, this year.

More than 75 films were submitted but only 18 were chosen for the film screening. High school, undergraduate and graduate students were able to submit films for the festival, which is celebrating its 14th year.

Each category includes a Best in Show cash prize award. The winners for best fiction story and best documentary will be awarded $300 while the best high school film winner will be awarded $50.

Films from the United States, Israel, Australia, Japan and the United Kingdom were submitted.

“Some of these high school students capture the essence of filmmaking so well,” said Laura Vazquez, Reality Bytes founder and media studies professor. “And they’re so talented. The high school films and international films are the most interesting to me because you get to see how films are made around the world.”

Films are two to 25 minutes long.

“This year’s selection of animated films, along with selections from all other categories, has really raised the bar,” said Taylor Gibson, senior media studies and production major. “Our festivals have great comedies, emotional dramas, enlightening documentaries and artistic heartfelt high school films.”

Aimee Burns, Reality Bytes assistant director, said her favorite thing about Reality Bytes is how “raw” the films are.

“Everything is made by the students: the films, the ideas, etc.,” Burns said. “As a teacher assistant, I’m just there for guidance. These films are for the students, done by the students. This is yours.”

The event will also feature a guest speaker, alumnus Mark Valadez, who wrote for Fox’s “Gang Related” and TNT’s “Perception.”

As a film student, “the opportunity to be a part of the Reality Bytes Film Festival, both attending and helping produce, has really broadened my horizons,” Gibson said. “It has been an experience that’s both memorable and downright entertaining.”