Battle of the Sexes moves to Cole Hall

By Darius Parker

Phi Rho Eta will switch things up for the Battle of the Sexes competition with a new location.

Battle of the Sexes is a competitive event that crowns whichever gender excels in performing arts. The event is free and will be held at 6 p.m. in the Cole Hall auditorium.

The competition will consist of rap, dance, spoken word poetry and song battles. The names of the organizations and individuals who are scheduled to compete will not be disclosed until the battle to keep the event suspenseful, said Dwayne Wilson, Phi Rho Eta member and graduate mechanical engineering student.

“We decide on the categories based on what particular talent is peaking on the campus …,” Wilson said. “The one thing that is definitely different will be the setup. We’re trying to be a bit more innovative and try new things by using a different venue. … Phi Rho Eta loves to give back to our supporters in a fun and safe environment so we can all just relax prior to finals.”

James Alford, senior political science major and Phi Rho Eta treasurer, said students can look forward to seeing familiar faces, such as local rappers and singers from events like Black Male Initiative’s Showtime at the Apollo.

“It’s the first time we’ve done it [in Cole Hal] and hopefully it brings a new twist and spin to it and make it pop out even more and make it a more interesting show,” Alford said. “You need time to relax after a successful semester due to stress and adversity so hopefully we can come together and enjoy a show that a lot of individuals have put their effort towards making the show complete.”

Samuel Owoo-Battlet, sophomore accounting major and Phi Rho Eta secretary, said he hopes the battle will spark interest for the audience to get involved in next year’s competition.

“I hope the audience has a really good time,” Battlet said.