2015 Vice presidential candidate: Robert Kreml

Student Association Senate deputy speaker

By Alex Nugent

Major: Senior physics major

Involvement: New Hall community adviser, Illinois Residence Hall Association banquet chair, communications teaching assistant and community adviser liaison for New Hall

Q: Why do you think you are the right candidate for this position?

A: The VP position has a lot of duties, one of which involves reaching out to student organizations on campus. I am extremely passionate about this because I was a transfer student to NIU, and without getting involved on campus NIU would not have been as welcoming and [would have been] intimidating. Getting involved on campus provides students with a reason to stay … . I feel that I am the best candidate because I have past experience with updating and amending bylaws and constitutions.

Q: What would be your No. 1 priority if elected?

A: My No. 1 priority would be outreaching to presidents and officers of student organizations to make sure their bylaws and constitutions are up to date. I would also offer advice to student organizations by offering a template if student orgs need to form or reform a constitution, serve as mentor and adviser and meet with students who would like to create their own student organization, help them with funds and the overall organization process.

Q: Name an issue NIU is facing and explain how the SA can help NIU fix these problems.

A: Program prioritization. The university is currently coming up with ways to prioritize the budget. The SA can help by appointing student representatives to university committees so to incorporate students into the decision-making process.

Q: How would you help the SA connect more with students?

A: Students don’t know about the SA as much as they should. I believe that one way we can reach out to students is by meeting with them outside in places like the [Martin Luther King Jr.] Commons. When I asked people questions about what they as students would want from the printing issue, they had no idea that this was an issue. Collaboration efforts between the SA, the student [organizations] and the students like this are essential.

Q: Could you name an issue you believe NIU is facing and describe how the SA could help the university resolve it?

A: Retention is the biggest thing. Student [organizations] don’t know how to get recognized. Students come to NIU and don’t find a connection, network or group of friends. What this does for them is gain experience, making lifelong friends, and having an impact on the institution. The SA can help by advising the administration about what these student organizations need so they can work together. As the VP, this would be one of my main responsibilities.