Food hub can give benefits to students

By Sarah Stayner

On Feb. 12, the Northern Star’s “In Brief” section discussed the Northern Illinois Regional Food Hub and Processing Center. I am writing to elaborate on the benefits that the food hub can provide for students and the DeKalb community.

If NIU’s Housing and Dining obtained produce from the food hub, students in the residence halls would have more healthy options for food as opposed to a limited, and often fried or greasy, selection. Students who live off campus would be able to benefit from the healthier options as well should wholesalers, grocery stores and local restaurants in DeKalb obtain their produce from the food hub.

The benefits our community stands to receive from this food hub extend beyond “just” nutrition. Putting this food hub into action means creating more jobs for DeKalb. It can help grocery stores, wholesalers and restaurants simplify the logistics of obtaining produce by going to a single location for their produce needs instead of spreading themselves thin. Farmers would also experience significant financial benefits, as they could sell more of their crops than before.

Lastly, the food hub provides an opportunity for residents and students to get involved in the DeKalb community. By attending the community meetings for the food hub, students and other community members can help transform the food hub from an idea to a reality, and have a hand in making a positive, tangible difference.