Student Association 2015 executive elections guide

By Northern Star staff

Candidates for the Student Association executive elections were posted Wednesday, kicking off campaigning up to the election days on March 24 and 25.

Candidates

President: Benjamin Donovan and Nathan Lupstein

Vice president: Reginald Bates Jr. and Robert Kreml

Treasurer: Marc Calvey and Gladys Sanchez

Student trustee: Raquel Chavez

Debate

Election commissioner David White will moderate an executive candidate debate 7 p.m. March 19 in the Holmes Student Center, Capital Room.

Online voting

The SA Senate passed a bill Sunday which established exclusively online elections through Huskie Link, niu.collegiatelink.net, a social networking website.

Polls will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. March 24 and 25 in the Holmes Student Center, Founders Memorial Library, Barsema Hall, DuSable Hall and the Recreation Center.

These polling stations will allow students to vote on laptops, but students will be able to use their own electronic devices to cast their votes online.

Campaigning

Article VIII of the SA Bylaws outlines the regulations candidates must adhere to:

University buildings: Campaigning will be unallowed in university classrooms 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. and no campaigning is allowed in libraries.

General restrictions: No material may deface or destroy property and candidates may be held liable for litter of campaign material.

Soliciting: No door-to-door campaigning may be done in the residence halls without the permission of the hall director.

Election day restrictions: Campaigning is forbidden in a university building containing a polling station, within 100 feet of a polling station and in Huskie Line Buses.

Representatives of candidates: Candidates will be responsible for actions of all persons campaigning on their behalf and violations of regulations, by representatives of the candidate, will be charged against the candidate.