NIU track and field: Huskies break 4 outdoor school records

By Frank Gogola

Track and field set four outdoor school records over the weekend as the team competed in a pair of meets in the Lone Star state.

The Huskies broke two outdoor program records at the Texas Relays in Austin, Texas, and two more records at the Bobcat Invitational in San Marcos, Texas.

Texas Relays

Senior sprinter Latesha Bigby set the outdoor school record in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:01.49.

Freshman distance runner Kelsey Hildreth broke the program’s all-time outdoor mark in the 5K run, which she completed in a time of 16:51.33. Hildreth also owns the school’s indoor 5K run record, which she set on Feb. 6 with a time of 16:39.83.

Bobcat Invitational

Senior thrower Sidra Sherrill reset the school’s outdoor discus record with a throw of 51.97 meters. Sherrill had a throw of 46.47 meters to win the discus throw in the Huskies’ outdoor season opener on March 20-21.

Sophomore sprinter A’Iesha Irvin-Muhammad rewrote the outdoor record books with a 200-meter dash time of 23.93 seconds. Irvin-Muhammad shaved nearly 0.8 seconds off her 200-meter dash-winning time of 24.71 seconds from NIU’s first outdoor meet on March 20-21.

MAC Outdoor Championships automatic qualifiers

Bigby (400-meter hurdles), Hildreth (5K run) and Irvin-Muhammad (200-meter dash) automatically qualified in their respective events for the MAC Outdoor Championships with their performances over the weekend.

After two outdoor meets the Huskies’ number of automatic qualifiers for the MAC Outdoor Championships sits at eight.

Five Huskies qualified for the MAC Outdoor Championships in the Huskies’ first outdoor event, the Billiken Kickoff, on March 20-21: Bigby (100-meter hurdles), sophomore Claudette Day (100-meter hurdles), sophomore Jasmine Wilson (javelin), freshman Chennel Palmer (high jump) and Sherrill (discus).