Multiple events planned for National Eating Disorders Awareness Week

By Northern Star staff

Different activities will be held throughout the upcoming week for the ninth annual Eating Disorder Awareness Week.

People are encouraged to wear purple to show support for eating disorder recovery, and these free events are open for all.

“Overall, the week is really to bring awareness about eating disorders, what an eating disorder is, how often eating disorders go undiagnosed and how the obsession with health can turn into things like eating disorders and trying to control one’s life through food,” said Amy Ozier, Associate Professor at the College of Health and Human Sciences.

Contact the Counseling & Student Development Center at 815-753-1206 for more information.

The events:

Monday

• An informational table will be set up 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center outside of TCF Bank.

• Body Positive Meditation will be held 12-1 p.m in Campus Life Building. There will be signs in the lobby to direct attendees. This hour of guided meditation aims to inspire inner peace.

• The Joy of Eating seminar will be held 6-7 p.m. in Wirtz Hall, Room 306. This seminar will feature cooking activities and prizes.

Tuesday

• Yoga for Every Body will be held 8-9 p.m, in the Recreation Center, Studio Room 1. This yoga class is open to all with spots only available to the first 25 attendees.

Wednesday

• I Had No Idea: Panel Discussion will be held 6-7:30 p.m. in Adams Hall, Chandelier Room. This discussion will focus on dealing with an eating disorder and learning what it takes to overcome it.

Thursday

• Size Bias and Decoupage will be held 5-7 p.m. in the Art Building, Room 100. This interactive discussion will explore different body shapes and sizes through the use of art therapy.