Pass, Fail: Power Five decision to benefit athletes, SA meeting should be No. 1 priority

By Rachel Scaman

Pass: Power Five decision to benefit athletes

The Power Five approved cost of attendance scholarships for student-athletes at the NCAA convention.

University-funded scholarships will now cover the full cost of attendance for student-athletes who wish to attend the convention.

Athletes are either at school or at practice and don’t have time for a part-time job. This change will improve the lives of not only the athletes, but also their families by helping them save money.

While I am not in favor of athletes getting paid for playing on top of getting their tuition paid for, I think approving the cost of attendance was a smart decision and a happy medium.

Fail: SA meeting should be No. 1 priority

Last year, the Student Association Senate canceled its meeting on Feb. 1 because of the Super Bowl, and it would be disappointing if the senators did this again this year.

It’s the SA’s duty to meet every week and discuss important student issues. Canceling a meeting where student issues will be brought up because of a football game is unprofessional.

With it being the beginning of the semester, everyone should start off on a good note, including the SA Senate.

As of now, the meeting isn’t canceled, just moved up to 2 p.m. Moving the meeting up is a fine solution, and I hope the SA stands by that decision.