Students rally to protest Ferguson events, raise awareness

By Ryan Ocasio

Students marched across campus Wednesday to raise institutional racism awareness more than a week after a grand jury declined to indict former Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson.

The group, led by Deyonna Dunigan, senior corporate communications major, marched to Altgeld Hall to highlight race issues on and off campus and to protest the Nov. 24 decision not to indict Wilson for the death of Michael Brown, a black 18-year-old.

Wilson fatally wounded Brown Aug. 9 in Ferguson, Mo., during an altercation between the two. A grand jury of 12 people decided an indictment of Wilson was not necessary because they could not find probable cause.

“We as an African-American community, as African-American leaders and African-American students would like to bring the issues here on campus that we would like to bring to light,” Dunigan said. “No matter what, black lives matter.”

The group planted Pan-African flags in front of Atgeld Hall and had four minutes of silence for Brown. The students chose to end their march at Altgeld Hall to make their cause known to NIU administrators, Dunigan said.

“We’re not just focusing on the violence against black people [as] we’re focusing on other forms of institutional racism,” said junior history major Rasaan Williams. “And we’re focusing things that we struggle with, like education, policing [and] finances. We want to encompass a lot of things and not just Ferguson. We want to bring out more positive things, too.”