Breaking Down the Falcons

By Danny Albers

Football is heading to the MAC Championship game for the fifth-straight season and will play the Bowling Green Falcons for the second year in a row, NIU having lost 47-27 in 2013. The Huskies (10-2, 7-1 MAC) and the Falcons (7-5, 5-3) kick off 6 p.m. Friday at Ford Field in Detroit. Football beat writer Danny Albers breaks down the Falcons.

Quarterback: James Knapke

The Falcons have been led by redshirt sophomore quarterback James Knapke since Matt Johnson, the 2013 MAC Championship game MVP, was injured in the team’s season opener. His strongest game came against Indiana when he threw for 395 yards and three touchdowns. His 2,654 passing yards on the season show he has the ability to throw the ball, but it comes with a price. Knapke has struggled with turnovers this season, throwing 10 interceptions to his 12 touchdowns. The Huskies’ defense has 11 interceptions on the year and has the potential to cause a problem for Knapke and the offense on Friday.

Running Back: Travis Greene

Travis Greene, redshirt junior running back, has been a weapon in the running back rotation. Greene leads the team in rushing yards with 803 and in touchdowns with nine. Greene had his best games early in the season: He rushed for 129 yards and two touchdowns against Virginia Military Institute. Against Indiana, Greene ran for 123 yards and one touchdown. But, Greene rushed for a combined 178 yards and two touchdowns in four games before missing games against Kent State and Toledo in November because of injuries. Last week was his first week back, and he tore up Ball State for 159 yards and a 75-yard touchdown run.

Wide Receiver: Roger Lewis

Freshman wide receiver Roger Lewis has been a pleasant surprise for the Falcons. Lewis leads the team in receiving yards with 934 yards and is tied for the team lead with five touchdowns. Lewis’ best game came against Indiana when he caught 16 passes for 149 yards and one touchdown. In the Falcons’ conference opener against Massachusetts, Lewis caught nine passes for 148 yards and one touchdown. Lewis has had five games where he had more than 100 receiving yards. At 6-1 and 196 pounds, Lewis’ strongest part of his game is his breakaway speed and playmaking ability.

Offensive Line: Alex Huettel

Redshirt junior right guard Alex Huettel has become one of the most experienced leaders on the Falcons’ offense. Huettel has played in more games than any other starting offensive lineman. His ability to protect the quarterback this year earned him a spot on the All-MAC Second Team. His efforts will be necessary Friday as the undersized Huskies’ defensive line will use its speed against the bigger Bowling Green offensive line. There are holes in the Falcons’ offensive line for the Huskies to exploit as they have allowed their quarterbacks to be sacked 22 times so far this season.

Defensive Line: Bryan Thomas

Bryan Thomas, redshirt senior defensive end, has been a threat to opposing teams’ quarterbacks. In rushing the quarterback this year Thomas has picked up six sacks, which ranks tied for fourth in the MAC. Additionally, he has forced five fumbles, which leads the conference. Thomas also has 36 tackles on the season, 13 of which have been of the tackle for loss variety. Against the Ohio Bobcats, Thomas had a punt deflection that led to a Falcons touchdown and had a sack late in the game in a 31-13 Bowling Green victory. The Huskies’ offensive line will need to focus on Thomas and the Falcons’ other skilled pass rushers.

Linebacker: Gabe Martin

The leader of the Falcons’ defense has been Gabe Martin, redshirt senior middle linebacker, who’s in his final season at Bowling Green. Martin leads the team in tackles with 100, 12 more than the closest Falcon and 31 more than the Falcons’ No. 3 tackler. He has two interceptions on the season and one forced fumble. Martin’s strongest game came on Oct. 4 against the Buffalo Bulls when he had 10 tackles and had an interception that he returned 37 yards into Buffalo territory as Bowling Green pulled out a one-point victory, 36-35. He is riding momentum coming into Friday with 21 tackles and one punt deflection in the last two games.

Defensive Back: Nick Johnson

Freshman cornerback Nick Johnson has started the past four games for the Falcons. He has caused trouble for the opposition’s air game, intercepting five passes, which places second in the MAC. His biggest outing came on Nov. 4 when he picked up two interceptions in a conference road win against the Akron Zips. He made his presence felt with picks against the Big Ten West champion Wisconsin Badgers and the MAC West co-champion Toledo Rockets. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Drew Hare will have to be cautious as the Falcons have picked off 13 passes, which is tied for second in the MAC.

Special Teams: Ryan Burbrink

Ryan Burbrink, redshirt junior punt returner, has been a spark plug for the Falcons on special teams. Burbrink was named to the 2014 First Team All-MAC as a punt return specialist. He had two punt returns for touchdowns against Virginia Military Institute. If the Huskies are not cautious with Burbrink on their punts he could break off a big punt return. NIU punter Tyler Wedel has excelled in the punt game after kickoffs and field goals were taken off his plate. His powerful leg and directional punting should help keep Burbrink in check as long as the Huskies wrap up on their tackles.