Weather to warm up next week

Students bear cold winds Tuesday on Normal Road in front of the Holmes Student Center. Climatology professor Dave Changnon said temperatures will begin to rise to above freezing Monday.

By Jessica Christofersen

A chill that took over northern Illinois early last week will be gone by Thanksgiving.

An air mass that arrived in DeKalb Nov. 11, dropping the temperature from 60 to 35 degrees in three hours, will continue to produce a daily high of 20 degrees throughout the week, NIU meteorologist Gilbert Sebenste said. But, temperatures will begin to rise to above freezing by Monday, increasing the likelihood of rain showers instead of snow, climatology professor Dave Changnon said.

“If you can make it through this week, the weather will be improved next week,” Changnon said.

The weather was caused by remnants of Typhoon Nuri in the Pacific ocean that caused an air mass in Siberia to drop into the United States, Sebenste said.

For new students like Katie Timmons, a junior transfer student majoring in community leadership and civic engagement, the sudden drop in temperature came as a surprise.

“NIU should invest in tunnels,” Timmons said. “NIU should expand the Pup route to places other than were the buses already go.”

For Richard Moore, senior political science major, the winter-like weather does not pose a challenge.

“I have my boots and jacket ready to go,” Moore said. “I’m ready to fight out winter.”

Day Editor Keith Hernandez contributed to this story.