Football runs to victory against Ball State

By Ryan Simpson

Football’s combination of defensive turnovers and run game was key to its victory Wednesday night.

The Huskies (7-2, 4-1 MAC) used a strong start and finish to beat the Ball State Cardinals (3-6, 2-3 MAC), 35-21, at Scheumann Stadium in Muncie, Ind. The win keeps the Huskies in second place of their division and one game behind next week’s opponent, Toledo.

Redshirt senior tailback Cameron Stingily led the Huskies with three touchdowns and 148 yards rushing.

The defense had three interceptions on the night. Two interceptions came from redshirt junior cornerback Paris Logan and junior defensive end Ben Compton. The third was a 21-yard interception returned for a touchdown by redshirt sophomore cornerback Anthony Brooks.

On the opening drive, the Huskies struck first with a 6-yard touchdown run by sophomore wide receiver Aregeros Turner at 2:13 into the first quarter. On the ensuing kickoff the Cardinals fumbled on their 14-yard line and sophomore linebacker Jamaal Payton recovered the ball. After three quick plays, Stingily punched the ball in for a 9-yard touchdown run and put the Huskies up 14-0 3:10 into the game.

The Huskies then went cold offensively until the third quarter.

After the back-to-back touchdown drives, the Cardinals answered with a 1-yard touchdown run by Jahwan Edwards with 8:40 to go in the first quarter. Jack Milas connected with Jordan Williams for a 38-yard touchdown pass with 6:27 left in the second quarter to tie the game, 14-14.

But, the second half of the game was all about the Huskies.

On the second drive of the third quarter, the Huskies took a slow, methodical approach to secure a touchdown. With a slew of 5- and 6-yard rushes, it took the Huskies 6:09 and 14 plays before Stingily ran in a 1-yard touchdown run to put NIU up 21-14 late in the third quarter. The Huskies never lost that lead.

The Huskies added a quick touchdown on the Brooks interception with 12:58 left in the game.

Ball State responded after six plays for a touchdown run by Horactio Banks to pull the game within 28-21. The Huskies’ defense went into beast mode.

After a fumble from redshirt sophomore quarterback Drew Hare with 5:20 in the fourth, the Huskies’ defense sealed the deal. Compton’s interception with 5:02 led to another Huskies touchdown.

Stingily ran in his third and final touchdown with a 2-yard rush, which put the Huskies up 35-21 with 2:45 to go. The defense forced another turnover and the Huskies ran out the clock for a 35-21 win.