Students raise $52K at dance marathon

By Deanna Frances

Students raised $52,336 for the Children’s Miracle Network and Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago at Dance Marathon Nov. 23.

Participants danced for eight hours at the Holmes Student Center to raise awareness and give ill children and their families the opportunity to attend a fun and family-friendly event, said junior rehabilitation major Kara Hennenfent, of Alpha Phi. Students donate and raise money for the charity event. Each participant is given a goal of $200.

“It’s a great way to get together and help the community,” Hennenfent said.

Student organizations have been raising money for a little more than a month, said Dain Gotto, senior associate director for Student Involvement and Leadership Development. He said student organizations have been enthusiastic about raising funds.

“We have sororities, fraternities, NIU Cheerleading and we have a lot of individuals and groups that raised money and are participating for a good cause,” Gotto said.

Melyssa Johnson, junior occupational therapy major and Panhellenic Council community events vice president, said the council, which sponsored the event, provided fun activities for participants.

“This event is a celebration of how much money we raised for charity,” Johnson said. “There’s group dancing, games, food, raffles, performances by the Huskie Hunks and the Harmolodics a capella groups, the NIU Silverettes and the NIU Cheerleaders doing routines … .”

Johnson said the funds raised before the event began had already surpassed last year’s total of $34,761, and the participant numbers had grown.

“We had 577 people signed up in advance, and then a lot of people showed up to participate in the morning,” Johnson said.

Local businesses donated food and gift cards for the raffles and T-shirts for the event, said Panhellic Council adviser Christy Fraticola.

Junior geology major Jorge Villalobos said it felt good to participate.

“I’m able to do more than just donate, and this event brings NIU students together,” Villalobos said.