In Focus: Why should students attend cultural events?

By Perspective staff

The Indian Students Association is hosting a cultural awareness event called Sanskruti at 5:30 p.m. Friday in the Holmes Student Center.

Marilou Terrones

The best way to get to know someone is by understanding where he or she comes from.

To do so, we must first be able to celebrate others’ roots by embracing what’s most important to them and their culture.

The closest thing to being able to understand what it’s like to be part of a cultural group is by empathizing with the stories people share as they allow us to be present in the moment.

Tim Bullen

A powerful part of the university experience is the cultural melting pot, which many students hadn’t been exposed to before attending college.

Always remember — during and after college — we are all global citizens regardless of our individual nationalities and own tests in this world.

It’s of grave importance for us to be sensitive and curious of others’ customs and culture.

Mohammed Taha Faridi

Understanding different mindsets helps students increase their comprehension of the world, become more knowledgable and work in diverse environments.

Cultural events shouldn’t just include people belonging to the culture being celebrated, as they should be for everyone.

Student groups should also start thinking of multicultural events where people celebrate their differences while fostering similarities.

Carl Nadig

If students didn’t explore cultures the foundations of education wouldn’t exist.

Students who break out of their cultural bubbles are the ones who explore the qualities of humanism.

Every person has a story to share, and learning about these stories helps the listener grow.

Learning about cultures offer alternative ways of exploring the world through another lens, offering fresh perspectives.