Ex’Pression looks to diversify with artistic events

By Deanna Frances

Ex’Pression, an organization for students to express artistic talents, plans to work with performing art programs to improve the its cultural and artistic diversity.

Ex’Pression, which was founded in 2009 by alumni Keith Winford and Ariel Hamilton, gives students a stage to perform poetry, music, dance and art and observe others’ work. Ex’Pression President Matt Muse wants to collaborate with NIU’s music, theater and art departments through events.

“We’re going to reach out to performers in different performing arts programs …,” Muse said. “We’re also going to be going to the theater department, the music department [and the] art department to get more artists. I feel like because we’re mainly African-American, we attract African-Americans, and I love that … . But I also know that talent doesn’t have one race, so I want to get everybody involved as much as possible … .”

Ex’Pression is starting a monthly event at The House Cafe, 263 E. Lincoln Highway, called Soul Sessions to feature artists and pay tribute to well-known artists. Muse does not have official dates for Soul Sessions.

The organization’s members meet once a week for two hours to work on their material. The first hour is spent in a group workshop or ice-breaker activity. The second hour is an open mic for students to perform their work and receive critiques to “enhance their art,” Muse said.

“It’s two hours when you don’t have to worry about anything but the art you love,” Muse said.

Ashley Ovunwo, Ex’Pression officer and sophomore pre-physical therapy major, said a variety of artists attend the meetings.

“We have poets, rappers, dancers, visual artists …,” Ovunwo said. “Everyone can be an artist and express their work.”

Junior communication major Kiana Cook said she has been a member of the group for three years and attends meetings because of the family-like atmosphere it provides.

“I heard about it on Twitter when I was a freshman, and I came because I was interested in the arts,” Cook said. “Now I keep coming because it’s my family. They’ve helped me develop, not only in the arts, but as a person … .”

Assistant Scene Editor Sabreena Saleem contributed to this article.