Fit Facts: Avoid malnutrition by using supplementation

Stop inflammation with healthy diet

By Blake Glosson

While hunger is a problem in the world, undernourishment poses a similar threat that also needs to be addressed.

Whether you think you might be at risk for malnutrition or you’re looking for a way to help those in need, this issue becomes even more pressing in light of the 2014 Global Hunger Index published last week by the International Food Policy Research Institute.

Micronutrient deficiency — or “hidden hunger” as termed by the institute — is a “shortage in essential vitamins and minerals [that] can have long-term, irreversible health effects as well as socioeconomic consequences that can erode a person’s well-being and development,” according to the International Food Policy Research Institute. According to this research, a staggering 2 billion people — more than one quarter of the world’s population — suffer from hidden hunger.

Hidden hunger can affect you even if you’re consuming enough calories, which can be tricky since you can be full from an energy standpoint while starving your body of the nutrients it needs to function properly. The International Food Policy Research Institute notes even overweight or obese people can suffer from hidden hunger.

Causes of malnutrition include poor diet, food insecurity and medical conditions or disorders. While malnutrition is drastically more common in third-world countries, students can still suffer if they aren’t careful. For example, if students eat the same few foods all the time or have digestive issues, you’re at a higher risk.

If your physician diagnoses you with an absorptive problem, supplementation might be useful.

“Supplementation is definitely important,” said Derrick Simmons, senior rehabilitation major with occupational therapy emphasis. “But, learning how to do supplementation is even more important.”

Determining the exact prevalence of hidden hunger in America is hard. While national hunger has decreased in recent years and the influx of multivitamins and fortified foods have helped this cause, malnutrition for various nutrients is still evident.

Iron deficiency is at the top of the list for worldwide nutritional disorders — and it “is also significantly prevalent in industrialized countries,” according to the World Health Organization. The most common health issue associated with iron deficiency is anemia, which can lead to fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, dizziness and paleness of skin. Young children and pregnant women have the highest risk for iron deficiency anemia.

Vitamin D deficiency is another potential danger, particularly for vegans, people who are lactose intolerant, black people and individuals who do not get much exposure to the sun (which is a natural source of Vitamin D).

Of course, if you’re consuming a variety of foods or taking a multivitamin, you’re not as likely to have a deficiency as someone who has poor food security, but avoiding nutrient deficiencies isn’t the only reason to eat healthy.

“Just because you don’t have a frank deficiency doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be eating for health,” said Jane Maxwell, registered dietitian and professor of nutrition, health and wellness. “If you’re a big fruit and vegetable consumer … that’s something that is really good even though you don’t have deficiencies.”

If you think you might be neglecting a certain nutrient, you can find foods for specific nutrients by visiting whfoods.com. Otherwise, you can get a free diet consultation from Meg Burnham, who is a registered dietitian at nutrition services in the Recreation Center.

For students who wish to contribute to the fight against food insecurity, hunger and malnutrition, organizations such as Feeding America and The Hunger Project are good resources. If you wish to help those in the DeKalb community, you can donate to the Huskie Student Food Pantry, the DeKalb County Community Gardens or to the Northern Illinois Food Bank.

It is time to take action against hidden hunger.