Students’ Legal helps homeless

Students Legal helps homeless

By Rachel Scaman

As people who lived in the condemned 912 Edgebrook Drive complex try to find places to live, Students’ Legal Assistance is ready to help students left homeless.

The building was condemned by the city Aug. 22, forcing student-tenants to move out. Students’ Legal Assistance has reached out to affected students to provide legal help and locate temporary housing.

Jordan Lanum, a senior political science major who lived in an apartment at 912 Edgebrook Drive, said he had no issues with his apartment, but said the building needed to be cleaned better. Pat Bragg, owner of the apartment complex, declined to comment.

Lanum said he didn’t have the time or energy to take any legal action after being forced to move out. Lanum said he was given his prorated rent back and everything he paid was given back. Lanum has found a place to live.

More than 30 percent of what Students’ Legal Assistance does involves dealing with landlord and tenant issues, said the department’s director, Joseph Lovelace.

“Young students commit to contracts that require certain obligations,” Lovelace said. “Our department is the No. 1 place they go.”

Lovelace said when dealing with difficult housing situations, Students’ Legal Assistance makes sure financial needs are addressed, including helping students get back their money and terminate their leases.

“Students come in and we address their legal needs and we connect them with other resources that can help them,” Lovelace said.

Lanum said although he went to Students’ Legal Assistance, he didn’t need their help since he had already taken care of the situation.

A Students’ Legal Assistance representative “made phone calls and told me what my options were,” Lanum said. “She called me later on and told me that hotel rooms were opening for people who needed them.”

Lanum said other student tenants went to Students’ Legal Assistance to receive help.

“They let me know what my options were, and I really appreciated” what they did, Lanum said.