5 minutes with… Patrick Murphy

By Steve Shonder

Men’s golf freshman Patrick Murphy is learning the nuances of the collegiate golf game on the fly after being a three-time state qualifier at Oak Park and River Forest High School.

At the Northern Intercollegiate Sept. 5 to 7, Murphy finished 24 strokes over par for a score of 240. His lowest round came on the second day of the tournament when he finished with a 75, the team’s best score of the round.

Northern Star: How has the adjustment to college golf been for you?

Patrick Murphy: It’s definitely a big adjustment from high school golf, but it’s come easier than I thought it would. It’s different from any golf I’ve played in high school and junior levels. It’s really good to have a team with a lot of upperclassmen. I can see what they’re doing and follow their lead and get comfortable playing. It’s been a fun adjustment, and I enjoy it.

NS: How did it feel getting that first tournament over with?

PM: Going into the tournament I was nervous but after the first day I realized that I belonged out there. … It’s an experience. Now coming out of the tournament, I learned a lot. It’s very different from any other golf I’ve played, junior golf and high school golf. I was competing against the best golfers in [the] country. It’s something to adjust to.

NS: How do you think you can build on your performance at the Northern Intercollegiate?

PM: Going into the tournament, I was way too tentative. I was nervous. At Wolf Run, I’m going to be a lot more free flowing and a lot less tentative. I want to play golf the way I normally do.

NS: What your expectations for this season?

PM: I expect the team to only get better every tournament.

NS: I mean, what are your personal expectations for this season, or at least the fall season?

PM: Individually, I wanted to keep getting better every time I’m out there. I’m going to be learning more with every tournament I’m in. So, hopefully coming out of the fall season, I’ll have learned a lot.