Football names Drew Hare starting quarterback for Rebels game

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Drew Hare #13) passes the ball to sophomore tailback Joel Bouagnon (28) Saturday in the game against Northwestern University.

By Frank Gogola

Football has a new starting quarterback for the second time in eight days.

Head coach Rod Carey officially named redshirt sophomore Drew Hare the Huskies’ starting quarterback for Saturday’s game against the Nevada-Las Vegas Rebels during Tuesday’s news conference.

“We’re going to start Drew Hare,” Carey said. “We’ll go with him, and he’ll be the guy. The intentions are to let him in there and let him play and see what he can do with a full game and complete control.”

Carey named redshirt junior Matt McIntosh as the Huskies’ starting quarterback last week for the game against Northwestern, but he said after the 23-15 victory in Evanston the team’s plan was to play all three quarterbacks.

This week, Carey said the plan is to let Hare play the entire game. Hare went 6-of-10 for 109 yards and two touchdowns and ran the ball 11 times for 31 yards and one touchdown while playing in the second half Saturday against the Wildcats.

“I just think that quarterback you name a guy and then your intentions are to play him the whole game, and that’s what ours’ are,” Carey said. “Obviously, you always see how the game’s going, and you see where it leads, but our intentions are that Drew will be the guy.”