Lehman thriving in first season

By Frank Gogola

Don’t call first-year guard Ally Lehman a freshman; she doesn’t play like or act like a typical freshman.

Lehman, a Nineveh, Ind., native, had numerous offers coming out of Indian Creek High School. During her senior season, she led her team in points (629), assists (143), steals (138) and blocks (48), and she was named to IndyStar.com’s All-Indiana team.

Lehman drew interest from colleges such as Vanderbilt, Ball State, Bowling Green, perennial Horizon-League power Green Bay, and Big Ten schools Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana and Michigan.

She eventually committed to NIU — a program that had just gone 7-23 — but she wouldn’t do so until she met with the team and the coaching staff.

“I really had this great connection with [head] coach [Kathi] Bennett,” Lehman said. “From the very first visit, the team made me feel welcomed. I knew that all the players wanted to make a change, and I wanted to be a difference-maker, too.”

Lehman had hoped to be part of the change, but she didn’t expect her opportunity to come so soon. She has played in all 21 games this season and started in 19.

“Yeah, it was kind of a huge shocker for me,” Lehman said. “I’m glad that I can contribute that way. It’s kind of a big honor.”

Bennett said she knew Lehman would fit right in with her program going forward because she’s simply a winner.

“I watched her in AAU, I watched her with her high school, and I’ve gotten to know her, and she’s just a winner in all areas,” Bennett said. “She’ll do whatever it takes. She just loves the game of basketball. She’s a gym rat. There’s nothing not to like about her. She’s a solid human being. She’s a great basketball player; she loves the game … I have that passion, and I think she has that passion.”

Lehman has seemingly made a smooth transition to the college game, which redshirt junior guard Danny Pulliam said has to do with her being so mature.

“I think Ally has the ability to just be coachable and listen to other people,” Pulliam said. “And I also know how hard Ally is on herself, and she expects a lot out of herself. And I think that’s why she’s had great success: because she has high expectations for herself.”

Lehman’s high expectations have propelled her to average 6.4 points per game (fourth on team), 4.8 rebounds per game (third on team), 2.1 assists per game (third on team) and 0.9 steals per game (third on team) in 26.5 minutes per game (third on team).

“I just like to go with the flow,” Lehman said. “We all just want to win. Whatever it takes, we all have that competitive mentality. We’re gonna work together…”

Bennett said Lehman wouldn’t have been playing nearly as much if guard Lacia Gorman hadn’t suffered a season-ending injury during the preseason. But she said she’s been impressed with Lehman’s ability to step up.

“She’s a player that I think welcomes that challenge, and it’s only going to help her down the road because she’s kind of got a head start,” Bennett said. “… She’s played enough games where she’s a veteran player right now.”