Convo to survey for community input

By Kelley Byrne

The Convo wants your input on upcoming events.

The Convocation Center is a 10,000-seat arena that hosts a variety of events. A survey is in the works that will help bring to light acts the local community and students would like to see at the Convo.

Paul Palian, director of media and public relations, said there is no timeline for this survey to be released as intercollegiate athletics is still searching for a new Convocation director.

“The Convocation Center is unique in that it is the largest venue in DeKalb County and has tremendous opportunity for growth and to bringing in and building the community here on campus,” Palian said.

Although the Convo is used for social, academic and athletic events on campus, the facility may be able to host other types of programming. Palian said there’s a lot of potential to bring in other things.

“I’m sure that as the process gets going there will be ways that people can contribute to future discussions regarding the Convocation Center and its programming,” Palian said.

This survey and future programming will help enhance the idea of “communiversity,” an idea NIU and the city are working together on in order to improve the NIU experience and enhance DeKalb as a college town.

“I think this is a great opportunity for the university to engage the local community,” Palian said. “We’ve done all these workshops looking for input on how to improve the campus, and I think this fits really well into what’s been going on in other parts of the campus.”

Current students are looking forward to more events at the Convocation Center.

“I would love to see more concerts and events. It could really draw a lot of people to the campus,” said freshman business major Ben Paulson.

Sophomore undecided major Lexus Dunbar said she would love to see more events with musical guests that are relevant to students