Demo shows finals brain food

By Rachel Scaman

Students were shown that foods like prunes and chicken will help their brain function better during finals with a Wednesday “brain foods” cooking demo.

This is the first year the Recreation Center and nutrition office had a brain foods cooking demo. The demo was set up from noon to 1 p.m. outside of the New Hall Dining area. The setup displayed foods that have been known to help the brain function in a more effective way.

“Our goal is that students will make good nutritional choices during finals week and choose the healthy options that will help them do well on their exams and get the fuel that they need to finish up the semester strong,” said Shannon Summers, graduate nutrition and dietetics student.

Summers displayed prunes, broccoli, carrots and other fruits and vegetables, as well as chicken and fish. She also showed drinks such as water and milk.

“I chose the food that I did because of the research related to these different foods,” Summers said.

The food provided at the demo is available in the New Hall dining area. Summers said to prepare for the display she was able to go through the lines and pick out food she wanted to promote to students on their way in to grab lunch.

“I met with Brian, the operations manager, last week, and we discussed the foods that would be on their line today,” Summers said. “We identified some of the brain foods that we know have been shown to provide great nutrition.”

Freshman undecided major Grace Schnell said she thinks it’s a good idea for students to eat healthy during finals week.

“It’s good to eat healthy because we stress eat during finals week, and if you are only eating junk all the time it’s just bad for you in general,” Schnell said.

Junior finance major Tyler Barkes said he often tries to eat healthier during finals week.

“I don’t have a meal plan, so it’s hard to go home and make a good meal during finals week when there are so many fast food options,” Barkes said. “If it was easier to make better food, I would, especially during finals week.”

Summers said food is an important way to keep the body ready for finals week.

“Our brain really likes to have a constant supply of glucose and constant nutrition to fuel it,” Summers said.

“So, they choices that we make can really affect or hurt us in terms of giving us energy and keeping our body well-nourished.”

Summers said the brain foods demo was one of the events she is participating in as a part of her internship.

There will be another brain food cooking demo from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Monday to promote breakfast foods.