Theta Chi attempts return to campus

By KeAndre Worthy

Greek Life has an old fraternity returning to campus.

Theta Chi left NIU in 1991 due to low numbers and not being able to maintain its bills, according to the Interfraternity Council and NIU Theta Chi alumni. Theta Chi is returning in hopes of setting up a new chapter and becoming the university’s biggest fraternity. Theta Chi is just starting the process of returning. It is in the interest group stage but has plans to go to colony by next semester.

Interfraternity Council adviser Josh Perschbacher said a fraternity or sorority can start a chapter at a university in two ways: Form an interest group, and then the interest group reaches out to the national organization to get the fraternity. The second way comes from the national organization finding colleges that fit its criteria and deciding to expand to those colleges.

“Theta Chi is having an expansion project that they go back to schools they already to been at,” said Jeffrey Draluck, Theta Chi recruitment and expansion specialist.

Draluck said Theta Chi focuses on community service.

“…Once we get an interest group then [we’ll] develop a colony. The colony will have 18 months to fulfill certain requirements, like size, GPA and community service,” Draluck said.

Theta Chi’s goal is to become the largest fraternity on campus with the most community service hours and highest GPA, Draluck said.

“I’ve been a part of it since 1961 and am serving as the NIU Theta Chi alumni president,” said Fred Cimaglio, Theta Chi member and alumnus. “Me and the alumni community’s focus is to support in any way we can the process of bring Theta Chi back to NIU.”

Draluck said the organization has a two-step interview process before it offers a recruit a bid.

“We had a tent a NIU 2013 Homecoming to just let everyone know that we are returning to NIU, and [we] got a good reception from sorority and fraternity members in NIU’s Greek life,” Cimaglio said.

Theta Chi Information Nights

7 p.m. Oct. 29 in the Student Union, Room 306

8 p.m. Oct. 30 in the Student Union, Room 406