Be prepared for class signup

By AJ Edwards

Spring enrollment begins next week, so it’s time to take into consideration what classes you will be taking next semester.

First, it’s important you have a plan A and a plan B. A problem many students have is they don’t know what classes to take before it’s time for them to register.

“Coming prepared is important,” said undergraduate English adviser Amanda Smothers. “We have course booklets out before the semesters, so students can come with questions and keep track of what they should take.”

Sometimes you won’t be able to enroll in a class you had your mind set on. It may be because the class is full or the department is not offering it for the upcoming semester. That’s when you should consider plan B.

“If my easy electives overlap with the important ones, I find something else to take, even if it’s not my first choice,” said senior sociology major Laurie Strangmann. “I wait to take the electives I want for the next semester.”

While you may have to take a little while longer to find your ideal class, it’s worth keeping your priorities in order.

Another consideration for having a backup plan is the course load you will be putting yourself through.

If you need to take four classes you know will be a challenge, try to find a fifth that’s less work to help keep you from burning yourself out.

Because scheduling and prioritizing is so important, time management is your next big concern. Making sure you have the time to get to class is crucial, especially if you commute.

“As a commuter, I have to think about the weather and fitting in the most classes in a day,” said senior journalism major Daniel Burke. “I just try to plan for my classes to be on the same day and area, and if it doesn’t work I hope it will open in the next semester.”

If you are not a morning person, don’t enroll in an 8 a.m. class. If you have a job that keeps you up late in order to finish homework, give yourself enough time to sleep and recharge for the next day.

Where your classes are held is another important factor. If you have to take a class in Graham Hall that gets out at 10:45 a.m., don’t take a class in Barsema Hall that starts at 11.

That’s a whole lot of ground for you to cover in only 15 minutes. Many professors have attendance count for a decent portion of your grade, so make sure you’re punctual.

With the spring semester coming up, it’s important you plan your classes in the most effective way and set yourself up for a successful, stress-free semester.

Don’t wait until the day of registration to decide what classes you want.