Ellington’s serves up autumn foods

By Deanna Frances

Students of Ellington’s restaurant serve a variety of meals this week, including autumn spice and la via Italiana.

The student-run restaurant, located in the Holmes Student Center, is open for business 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays until Dec. 5. The students from FCNS 320 plan, run and serve the meals in the restaurant as a requirement for their class.

“The students are split into two groups,” said instruction Joan Quinn. “Up until they opened on Oct. 1, the student groups chose themes for each meal and planned menus based on those themes.”

According to NIU.edu, students plan themed meals like Autumn Spice, La Via Italiana, Asian Twist and Sabor Latino. There are 10 meals and each meal runs twice over the fall semester.

“The students set up and prepare from 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and begin seating guests at 11 a.m.,” Quinn said.

The event is filling up quickly.

“Next Tuesday is completely booked,” said Julia Green, junior nutrition and dietetics major. “We even have a waiting list just in case someone cancels their reservation. It’s pretty exciting.”

Green said when it came to choosing themes and planning menus, the teams worked together to pick ideas that everyone agreed with. After choosing themes, they researched popular foods that would work well with the themes they chose.

“It’s a really eye-opening experience,” Reszinski said. “There’s a lot that goes into running a restaurant that I didn’t know before this class.”

Reszinski said helping choose the meals is a learning experience, as well cooking the food.