Community gathers to take back night, end violence

By Jack Manning

Students took a stand Wednesday night against violence and sexual assault.

Organizations came together to host Take Back the Night at NIU during Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Take Back the Night is an event where people come together and march to raise awareness of sexual assault and violence. Speakers took to a stage and shared their stories during the event.

“I think the most important thing about this event is that it gives survivors and community members a chance to stand together and send the message that everyone deserves to be safe, no matter where they go, no matter when they go there, no matter how they’re dressed, everyone has a right to be safe,” said Marj Askins, a community adviser at Safe Passage. Safe Passage is an organization that seeks to reduce or prevent domestic violence and sexual assault in DeKalb.

Students are encouraged to participate and get active in sexual assault awareness and prevention by reaching out to organizations like the Women’s Rights Alliance, Safe Passage and Pause Off!.

“Safe Passage is a great resource for domestic violence and sexual assault victims in DeKalb County,” Askins said.

Rebekah Kohli, Women’s Rights Alliance faculty adviser, said students can get involved in the anti-violence movement in many ways. She advocates joining an organization on campus like the Women’s Rights Alliance, which is a student organization open to everyone. The alliance is focused on the social equality of women and improving relationships.

“Victim Advocacy Services, which is run out of the Women’s Resource Center, is also a great resource here on campus for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence and sexual harassment. They also have a group that advocates can get involved in,” Kohli said.

Health Enhancement runs Pause Off! theater troupe, which is another organization that deals with bystander awareness. It teaches people how to be an active bystander to try and stop violence from occurring.

“I always like to sign up for what I believe, so especially for events like these I focus on abuse and the things that negatively affect others, I always feel the need to stop those kinds of things,” said march attendee Lizbeth Roman, sophomore community leadership and civic engagement major.

Senior psychology major Scott Spitzer said the event’s show of solidarity is important, and he urged spreading Take Back the Night’s message against violence.

“I suppose I’ve had many people in my life who have been affected by domestic abuse and sexual violence and things of that nature, so this is an issue that’s close to me,” Spitzer said.

There are many advocates of all ages, genders and backgrounds who come together about this issue, Askins said. Kohli said it is important for students and people to know they are not alone.