Student Senate, DeKalb police chief connect

By Shaz Sheikhali

Police Chief Gene Lowery addressed the DeKalb Police Department’s relationship with students at the Student Association Senate meeting Sunday.

Lowery, a guest speaker at the meeting, commended senators on the efforts they put in creating a connection between the DeKalb Police Department and NIU. The new DeKalb Police Department will soon open across the street from the campus.

DeKalb police

Lowery believes NIU is a part of the DeKalb community and the DeKalb Police Department is a part of NIU’s community. He wants students to trust DeKalb police and does not want anyone to feel as if he or she is being discriminated against.

“If there is a complaint against the police I take it seriously. I vet it out,” Lowery said.

Lowery wants the students to feel safe and does not want them to think they are being charged or chased based off their economic class, race or for other reasons.

Senator Nathan Lupstein suggested to Lowery that a seminar be hosted by the DeKalb Police Department to inform the students of their legal rights. Lowery thought the seminar was a good idea and suggested an attorney also be present so all the information provided to the students will be correct.

Greek Affairs

Kevin Malone, SA director of Greek Affairs, spoke to the Senate about his plans to get a large turnout from Greek sororities and fraternities at NIU’s blackout game. The game will air on ESPN2 at 6 p.m. Nov. 26.

There will be a signup at the entrance for the blackout game for the Greek sororities and fraternities, and “the organization that has the most attendance will receive [a $200] gift certificate to Molly’s,” Malone said.

Malone is trying to get other area businesses to offer rewards, as well.

Other business

Spanish Club and Huskies Cricket Club were recognized by the Senate.

The following students were voted in as senators at Large:

• Libardo Coronado (District 5)

• George Hidalgo (District 5)

The senate postponed indefinitely voting on the appointment of Charles Marshall, senior environment and technology major. Marshall was not voted into Senate due to his GPA not meeting the Senate’s requirement or 2.5 or higher at the Senate’s last meeting on Oct. 20.

The Senate will review Marshall’s academic progress once the fall semester is over. If Marshall meets the requirements and Senate has an opening for a senator at large position he will be able to present why he is qualified for that position and the Senate will take a final vote.

Senator Dillon Domke has created a resolution to increase the number of bike racks on campus. The resolution was approved and passed by Senate.