Second year residency good idea

By Kim Randall

Student Affairs and Enrollment has been discussing extending the student requirement for living in the residence halls to two years.

I’m sure many students have groaned and rolled their eyes at the proposal, but, as crazy as it sounds, I don’t think it’s a bad idea. Second-year residency is being given a closer look by administrators, according to a Sept. 25 Northern Star article, but I still think it’s a great program to implement.

Living in the residence halls for two years would help students better adjust to college life socially and academically.

The motivation behind the requirement is to increase the graduation rate and see more student involvement. The plan is a part of the goals set for NIU’s Vision 2020 initiative, according to a May NIU Today news release. If passed, second-year residency will begin with the fall 2015 semester.

Only non-commuting freshmen are currently required to live in the residence halls.

NIU has many campus activities that occur day to day. With so many taking place, it can be hard to keep up with everything, especially if you aren’t living on campus.

Unless you are directly involved with a particular organization or group, you may just find yourself relying on word of mouth to find out about events and programs on campus. Community advisers, event fliers and groups in the Martin Luther King Commons help to ensure no student misses out on anything.

“I feel like if you really want to be involved, you will make it happen either way,” said senior communication major Martez Butler. “I don’t think where you stay makes a difference. Students are paying money to be here so they should be able to live where they want.”

Of course there’s going to be that point in time when you want nothing more than to be living completely on your own. But living in the halls for an extra year won’t kill you.

I can’t tell you how many have left the residence halls prematurely and wanted desperately to come back or even just miss the comfort of their meal plan (cough, cough). Living off campus is great, but many of the conveniences you once enjoyed will be gone. You need to make sure you are fully prepared for living on your own.

A second year of living in the residence halls can help you determine that.