‘Corn’ combines horror, pop culture

By Deanna Frances

The School of Theatre and Dance puts a new spin on its annual production of “Children of the Corn.”

The Halloween comedy and horror skits runs 10 p.m. today to Saturday in the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge. The 45-minute show is written and directed by the fine arts acting major senior class.

“Corn” consists of 15 short Halloween skits with genres ranging from comedy to horror. Each senior participates in some way in the throughout production.

The students decided to change the annual theme to add more of a horror and pop-culture feel to the show. The group gave feedback on each other’s skits and worked together in a collaboration to make their production different than those of previous years, said student director Hailey Shelton.

“I would say that this show differs a little bit because we tackle Halloween as a whole rather than strictly parodying movies,” Shelton said. “We genuinely wanted to try and scare the audience, which is not something every year has done.”

In addition to writing and directing, the students market their production in the media and around campus. Although the production is student-run, the students receive assistance from their faculty members.

“They pretty much do all of their own marketing,” said David Booth, School of Theatre and Dance Marketing director. “We help edit their materials, but apart from that it’s all them.”

Admission for the production is $5 per person.

“The proceeds go to help fund the senior BFA class’ reels that they do at the end of the year,” said student director Jose Ochoa.

The reels are short videos of the student actors’ work that will assist them in getting cast.

“One of the best parts for us is putting on a funny show for the audience that they won’t forget, and seeing the program work together to make that happen,” Ochoa said.

Each student has one or more roles to play in helping the production be successful.

“I have a lot to do with the show as a whole,” Shelton said. “Like what it looks like and helping it run smoothly.”