Save Chicago demonstration brings awareness to city’s violent deaths

Garbage bags filled with newspapers line the steps of the Martin Luther King Commons Monday as part of the Save Chicago campaign. The bags signify the 506 people that have died due to violence in 2012 while the newspapers represent their untold stories.

By Jarrel Sylvers

Students of the NIU “Save Chicago Campaign” spread out 506 trash bags across the Martin Luther King Commons Monday to bring awareness to crime in the city.

The Untold Stories demonstration marked the first official event of the new movement. The demonstration featured a 506-trash-bag display in the commons to represent the 506 lives lost in Chicago from violence in 2012. The group placed newspapers in each bag to communicate a symbolic message.

“In the bags we have newspapers that represent their stories and how they never got out,” said campaign founder Randiss Hopkins, an NIU student.

Students were able to participate in the demonstration by signing the names of fallen loved ones on a board placed in front of the trash bag display.

Names filled the board, which was placed directly in front of the installation, as the day progressed.

“My cousin was killed … and I felt like I was obligated to be a part of this movement,” said Steffen Canino, board member of the Save Chicago campaign.

The recent level of violence in Chicago hits home for some NIU students, and some have seen an opportunity to speak out against violence through the campaign.

“I know for myself I gotta go back and inspire the youth,” said senior Alvato Cartman.

The group hopes to execute a student-led community service event similar to NIU Cares Day but serving at-risk neighborhoods in Chicago.

The Save Chicago campaign is comprised of a board of about 15 students.

“We definitely have some bigger plans in the future … right now we want to start with NIU,” Hopkins said.

The movement’s mission is to increase unity and peace within Chicago.

“Our goal is to keep their stories alive and let the people of Chicago know that we care,” Hopkins said.